Wednesday, December 8, 2010

12-8-10 7pm

So it was to good to last - 3 weeks to our last family hospital visit Riley Rose is back at CHOA Egleston. So she has had a lot of mucus since 11/27 and Michele took Riley for her 'well' Pediatrician visit last Friday (12/3) and the doctor diagnosed her with 'just a cold - something we just have to ride out'. Then a cardiologist visit led to some blood tests and chest xray to make sure it was just a cold and they got an elevated white blood cell count. So they asked us to just take her back to the pediatrician today to make sure - so a visit to the pediatrician today all of a sudden (with no change in her symptoms mind you) led to us having to rush her to the emergency room to make sure she doesn't have RSV. The same pediatrician that checked her out last week all of a sudden today heard a wheeze in her lungs - I'm all for being cautious with my children, especially this one, but no one else heard a wheeze, her chest xray was clear and everyone here at Egleston stated that even if it was RSV, there is nothing that they can do besides treat it like a normal cold anyway. So my question is what is so different today from last Friday - if today led to tests, then why couldn't we get them last Friday and catch something early if we could have. I am glad that the doctor wanted to take the protective route, but do it when it is protective not after the fact and not just to protect your ass.

Just as I have been typing the RSV test came back negative, so eventually we will get to go home. Again, I am glad people want to be cautious with one of my most treasured people, but let's do it early and catch it prior to it being a problem.

On a good note - while we were sitting here waiting for stuff, my little flower smiled and 'talked' to me, so I talked back and she smiled some more. So I gave her a quick chin tickle and she smiled and 'talked' some more - this brought a couple of tears to my eyes as this was the first time that she had truly smiled at something I did instead of just an involuntary reaction. So we have broken our streak of 3 weeks with no hospital visits and if you are counting (because we are) this is 7 of her 9 weeks of life that she has spent some time in a hospital. But her little smile makes it all worth it - for those 3 seconds that she smiled at me my world was a glow with awesomeness and my happiness could have lit up New York City. My daughter is a wonder to me and even in dark moments can light up my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment