Wednesday, November 3, 2010

11-3-10 First Night

So we had Riley Rose for her first night at home. With the continuous feed, Riley Rose slept from 10pm - 6am. No muss, no fuss, and very few coughs - Mom and I kept waking up to see if she was ok, but she was knocked out.

There have been a million heartaches, heartburns, and headaches over the past 26 days of our life - but for me this morning was all worth it. Michele and I were up around 5:45am to get Riley's first meds in to her and change her. About 6:20am, Zoey woke up to get ready for her school day and she came in to our bedroom. By this time Riley was on our bed finishing her breathing treatment (with a nebulizer). Zoey, Riley, Michele and I then got to just spend some family time on our bed. Zoey started to tell Riley about what she does at school and at three different times while Zoey was talking Riley broke into a huge smile - literally the biggest that Michele and I have seen yet. My family was enjoying a morning with each other for the first time - just like other families and many other morning that Michele, Zoey and I have enjoyed before. For the first time since Riley's birth, my heart was filled with nothing but joy and happiness. No concern about hospital payments, my wife's health, my youngest daughters future, or my oldest daughters feelings. Just pure and utter joy that I have never felt before.

While our lives will certainly be more hectic - we will have thousands of moments like this morning that make them all worth while.

No comments:

Post a Comment