Tuesday, November 16, 2010

DFACS

Yesterday I spent about 2 1/2 hours sitting around at DFACS on a delightful rainy day.  Perfect weather for that sort of errand.  I'd completed all the forms and had Riley's pediatrician fill out several as well.  Last week I'd been told by the supervisor to bring in all the completed forms and wait for a temporary case worker.  The lady at the desk told me that I had to wait 2 weeks and someone would get back to me.  After I explained what happened the week before, she handed me back my giant stack of papers and said she'd out my name of the list and to listen for my name (LIAR!!!)

In the sitting around part I had plenty of time to observe the people who have to come to DFACS.  What a motley crew that was.  Some people dress like they've just rolled out of bed while others dress like they are going to the opera.  There were repeat customers who recognized one another from their weekly visits.  Then there was the family that broke me heart.  A mom, a young teenage girl and a7 or 8 year old girl.  They came in soaking from the rain, each with a backpack chocked full of stuff.  The mom & older girl each had a roller suitcase and the teenager even had a pillow.  I pray for this family and those like them that they have some place to go and that they are not carrying around all of their eathly possessions.

I finally spoke with a case manager, Ms. Jones (super nice lady) who explained that they have to send out our application as the Katie Beckett Medicaid is completely different and gets approved by a panel of doctors & nurses.  They have 60 days to get back to us and I suspect we will be waiting that entire time.  At this time we have about $175,000.00 in medical bills for Riley and she's not even "repaired" yet.  Hopefully the bill collectors will be understanding!

No comments:

Post a Comment